Monday, May 2, 2011

Introduction

As the title of my blog suggests, I love reading and enjoyed teaching 5-8th grade literature classes. I fell into that area, since my degree is in social studies. I created many projects that integrated technology. I had my geography students create an diary of a trip through Europe that everyone enjoyed. I had history classes create early colonies - both of these incorporated power point presentations. As more and more classrooms are getting access to interactive white boards, I would like to pursue use of virtual field trips into the social studies. The last class on anthropology gave me many ideas in this area. Being able to post to things such as schooltube (I think that is what it is called) can open a whole new avenue of projects for students. Newscasts, historical 'you are there' plays, etc. Blogging is also an approach that could prove interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like some great activities for social studies! I helped a teacher create a google earth trip assignment where students created placemarks to show the travels of diseases such as bubonic plague - made me want to switch from teaching English to teaching social studies! I'm looking forward to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meredith. It's nice to be learning with you again. Your projects sound so interesting! I am sure students love your classes. I want to learn how to do all of these things too. I know it's silly compared to what you and some of the other people in this class can do, but I am excited to be able to see your blog and to write a comment. Oh well, small steps towards becoming proficient are helpful too. I look forward to your blog. Thank you for what you have shared.

    ReplyDelete